Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


Craik-Patton House

Craik-patton049_standard

The Craik-Patton House was built in 1834 on Virginia Street by James Craik, a lawyer who later became a clergyman serving St. John’s Episcopal Church. In 1858, the house was purchased by George S. Patton, who founded the Kanawha Riflemen and became a Confederate colonel. The house was first moved in 1906 to make way for another East End street. When the house faced demolition in the 1960s, the Colonial Dames of America spearheaded a campaign to save and restore it. The house was moved to its current home in Daniel Boone Park in 1973, and is open for tours. The house was first listed on the National Register in 1970 and then nominated and listed again in 1975.

Read the National Register Nomination


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.