Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


General E. L. Wood House

1527_virginia_street_east_standard

This house at 1527 Virginia Street was built about 1895 by Edward Langley Wood and wife Nannie. Wood was born in Kanawha County and raised in Ohio. After returning here in 1869, he studied to become a laywer but never practiced law. He became state librarian in 1875 and adjutant general the following year. After retiring from public life, he was appointed sergeant at arms for the House of Delegates in 1911. The honorary term of “general” came from this service.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.