Glenwood, at 800 Orchard Street on the West Side, was owned by three of the most prominent families of the Kanawha Valley. James Madison Laidley, a newspaper editor and a member of the Virginia Legislature, hired builder and stonemason William Preston to construct the house in 1852. Preston used materials that were readily available, including timber from the estate, bricks fired nearby, and sandstone quarried not far from the house. In 1857, he sold the home to Judge George Summers, for whom Summers County is named. The house was restored in 1954 for Lucy and Elizabeth Quarrier, descendants of Judge Summers. On the National Register since 1978, the house is owned by the Historic Glenwood Foundation.
Read the National Register Nomination