This Georgian revival-style house at 1300 Kanawha Boulevard was built in 1895 for W.T. Thayer. Thayer, a Charleston native, was a Confederate veteran and a successful coal operator. The house was remodeled for businessman William Zimmerman by architect H. Rus Warne in the early 20th century. It serves as the headquarters of District 17 of the United Mine Workers and is part of the East End Historic District.