Colonel Henry Hewitt Wood House
This house at the eastern end of Kanawha City was built from 1829-1831 for Colonel Henry Hewitt Wood (1810-1883) who was a leading salt merchant, and his wife, Ann Ruffner Reynolds. The house sits across the river from Malden, which was the center of the salt industry in the 19th century. The house was once part of a large farm, but it is now surrounded by other homes. The house, which remains a private residence, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Read the national Register Nomination