Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


Charles Capito House

1605_virginia_street_east2_standard

This house at 1605 Virginia Street was designed and built in 1907-1908 by Ambrose Grayson Higginbotham, who also built Sunrise. The house was constructed for Charles Capito, who was a liquor wholesaler and later became president of the Kanawha National Bank. The house was sold to the Red Cross in 1973, and it served as the headquarters of the Central West Virginia Chapter for more than 30 years. In 2005, the house was completely refurbished, and it is now home to Jarrett Construction.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.