Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


306 20th Street

306_20th_street027_standard

This house at 306 20th Street in Kanawha City was one of 12 East End homes that were moved across the Kanawha River in 1923. The houses had been purchased by the state to make room for the new West Virginia capitol, but before the homes were torn down, they were purchased by a realty company and moved to a new subdivision across the river. To accomplish the move, each house was raised on jacks, lowered onto timbers resting on rollers attached to steel tracks, and then moved to barges by a horse-powered windlass. Once the house arrived on the opposite shore, the process was reversed. Three of the houses still stand on 20th Street, including this one.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.