Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


Governor’s Mansion

Executive_mansion_standard

The West Virginia Governor’s Mansion, facing the Kanawha River near the southwest corner of the State Capitol Complex, was built in 1924–25. Charleston architect Walter F. Martens consulted closely with Cass Gilbert, architect of the state Capitol, which was then under construction nearby. The Neo-Georgian-style residence is constructed of red Harvard colonial brick and is fronted by a central, two-story portico. Inside, the reception rooms are on the first floor, and the family rooms are upstairs. The mansion was built during the term of Governor Ephraim Morgan who moved his family into the house only a few days before leaving office.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.