Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


948 Ridgemont

948_ridgemont_standard

This South Hills house was built in the early 1900s from a kit manufactured by an Iowa company called Gordon-Van Tine. Dozens of homes around the city have been identified as kit, or catalog, homes. Sears, Montgomery Ward, and other companies sold the kits through their catalogs in the early 20th century. A kit, filling an entire boxcar, would be shipped by rail to its destination, and the buyer was responsibile for getting it to its destination. A West Virginia company, Minter Homes Corporation in Huntington, manufactured and sold kit homes. Minter produced much of the housing for the town of Nitro.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.