Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


Meredith P. Ruffner House

1636_kanawha_blvd_east147_standard

This house at 1636 Kanawha Boulevard was built for wholesale grocer Meredith Ruffner in about 1890. Ruffner, along with A.L. Ruffner and others, owned and operated the Ruffner Hotel, which was the largest building in Charleston at the time, except for the Capitol building. The frame house features overlapping shingles in different shapes.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.