Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register


Historic Houses of Charleston

MacFarland-Hubbard House


The MacFarland-Hubbard House at 1310 Kanawha Boulevard was built in 1836 by Norris Whitteker for Isaac Noyes. The house, an example of Greek Revival architecture, was first occupied by Henry and Julia MacFarland and later occupied by the Ruby, Crowley and Hubbard families. The house took a direct hit from a cannonball during the Battle of Charleston in September 1862, and served for a time as a hospital for federal troops. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. In 1999, the West Virginia Humanities Council purchased the home for its headquarters. Both the home and the adjacent carriage house have been restored.

Read the National Register Nomination

Related Articles

Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.