Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


Sunrise

Sunrise_standard

This Georgian mansion at 746 Myrtle Road in South Hills was built in 1905 by West Virginia’s ninth governor, William A. MacCorkle. The three-story stone structure was built by Ambrose Grayson Higganbotham, who may have designed the home as well. Many famous people visited the home in the early 1900s including Adlai Stevenson, William Jennings Bryan, and John Philip Sousa. The mansion was home to a children’s museum for many years, but it is now owned by the law firm, Farmer, Cline & Campbell. It has been listed on the National Register since 1974.

Read the National Register Nomination


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.