Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


Holly Grove

Holly_grove075_standard

Holly Grove Mansion was built in 1815 by saltmaker Daniel Ruffner as part of a large plantation that encompassed all of the present East End and much of downtown. Ruffner opened his home to travelers, and his guests included Henry Clay, Samuel Houston, John J. Audubon, and President Andrew Jackson. Originally Holly Grove was a two-story rectangular brick building with a small entry portico facing the Kanawha River. James H. Nash bought the house in 1902 and made significant changes, including the addition of the half-circle portico with great columns. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and purchased by the state in 1975. Holly Grove, which is adjacent to the Governor’s Mansion, is undergoing renovations by the West Virginia Department of Administration.

Read the National Register Nomination


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.