Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Historic Houses of Charleston


Augustus Ruffner House

1506_kanawha_blvd_042_standard

The Augustus Ruffner House at 1506 Kanawha Boulevard was built in 1834 as a farmhouse for Augustus Ruffner, a farmer and lumberman, and his wife, Mary Elizabeth. Ruffner was the son of prominent saltmaker Daniel Ruffner, who built Holly Grove. The house, once called “Cedar Grove” because of the cedar trees that surrounded it, remained in the Ruffner family for many years but is now a commercial property.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.