This South Hills house was built in 1926 by former governor William A. MacCorkle for his son, William Goshorn MacCorkle. The home was designed by Walter Martens, who also designed the Governor’s Mansion. The governor named it Torquilstone in honor of an early ancestor, Torquis. Over generations, the family name evolved into MacTorquil and then MacCorkle. Torquilstone was purchased in 1961 by the Sunrise Foundation and used as an art museum until 2003, when the museum moved to the Clay Center. The home was sold and is a private residence once again.