Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Charleston History Through Postcards


First Governor's Mansion

Charleston_card015p_standard

Clothing merchant Gustave Jelenko built this home on Capitol Street about 1887 and sold it to the state in 1893. Eight governors lived there, beginning with Governor William MacCorkle. The current Governor’s Mansion on the capitol grounds was built in 1924-1925.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.