Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Charleston History Through Postcards


Kanawha Valley Bank

Charleston_card009p_standard

Kanawha Valley Bank, later One Valley Bank and now BB&T, was organized in 1867 by the Dickinson family and others involved in the salt industry. Of the three banks opened in Charleston immediately after the Civil War, Kanawha Valley Bank was the only one to survive the financial panic of 1873. The bank occupied this building at the corner of Kanawha and Capitol streets beginning in 1894. The building was torn down in 1963.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.