Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Charleston History Through Postcards


Capitol Street, looking north

Charleston_card023p_standard

This postcard from about 1917 shows Capitol Street from the old federal building, which is now the Kanawha County Public Library. The yellow streetcars were local cars, while the green ones were interurban cars. The Charleston Interurban Railroad operated two interurban lines, one west to St. Albans and the other east to Cabin Creek.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.