Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Charleston History Through Postcards


Old Federal Building

Charleston_card019p_standard

In 1884, a federal custom house was constructed on Capitol Street. The custom house was also home to the post office, and this area became known as Post Office Square. The building was torn down in 1911 to make room for a new federal building. That building serves today as the Kanawha County Public Library.



Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.