Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Charleston History Through Postcards


Old South Side Bridge

Charleston_card026p_standard

Built in 1891, the original South Side Bridge was the first to cross the Kanawha River at Charleston. It gave people an easier way to reach the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway depot on the south side of the river and spurred the development of South Hills. The bridge was condemned and dropped into the river in 1936. The current bridge, constructed with funds from the Works Progress Administration, opened in 1937..



Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.