Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Charleston History Through Postcards


County Jail

Charleston_card012p_standard

The Kanawha County jail, shown at the right, was built in 1888 behind the courthouse. This view is from Court Street toward Kanawha Street (now known as Kanawha Boulevard). The jail was torn down in 1924 to make room for an addition to the courthouse.



Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.