Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Charleston History Through Postcards


Ruffner Hotel

Charleston_card001p_standard

The Ruffner Hotel was built at the corner of Kanawha and Hale streets in 1885 by A. L. and Meredith Ruffner and the Charleston Hotel Company. With its 180 rooms, the Ruffner Hotel was the biggest building in the city except for the new Victorian capitol, also built in 1885. The Ruffner was torn down in 1970.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.