Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Charleston History Through Postcards


Victorian Capitol

Charleston_card011p_standard

In 1870, the state capital was moved from Wheeling to Charleston. The 1870 capitol was built in the Italianate style, with Romanesque details. The state’s fourth capitol building, the second one in Charleston, incorporated the 1870 capitol into the new structure. The 85 rooms of the new building, shown here, were completely occupied in 1887. This building was the seat of government until it burned in 1921.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.