Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

The Midland Trail


Barboursville

Midlandtrail198a_standard

Barboursville, located near the junction of the Mud and Guyandotte rivers, was founded in 1813 and named for James Barbour, who was governor of Virginia at the time. In 1835, a visitor described it as a “handsome little village.” In its early years, the village was home to small factories and other businesses. The James River & Kanawha Turnpike ran straight through the little town. A side road connected the turnpike to the nearby village of Guyandotte.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.