Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register


The Midland Trail

The Springs


Weary travelers on the old James River & Kanawha Turnpike looked forward to stopping over at White Sulphur Springs to enjoy its mineral waters. In 1808, Michael Bowyer erected a tavern at White Sulphur, and his son-in-law, James Calwell, later added cottages and other amenities, including the resort’s first springhouse. The handsome springhouse shown on this postcard was built in the 1830s. Today the Greenbrier continues to welcome guests to a resort where history abounds at every turn.

Related Articles

Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.