Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

The Midland Trail


Milton

Midlandtrail183a_standard

An early settlement grew up at the Mud River crossing of the James River & Kanawha Turnpike. When the Cabell County town was incorporated in 1876, it was named for Milton Rece, a large landowner and Milton’s first postmaster. Over the years it developed as a regional commercial and small-scale industrial center. Local residents sometimes describe themselves as being from “Milton on the Mud,” a reference to the Mud River that regularly spills out of its banks and sends folks heading for higher ground. This postcard reproduces a picture of Milton dated 1884.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.