Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

The Midland Trail


Glen Ferris

Midlandtrail105a_standard

Glen Ferris was known until 1895 as Stockton, for Colonel Aaron Stockton, who settled in the area in 1812. During the early days of the James River & Kanawha Turnpike, Stockton kept a popular tavern where travelers could get food, drink and a bed for the night. The last stagecoach rolled along the turnpike in 1873, but even so Stockton’s tavern survived, and in 1929 was converted into the popular Glen Ferris Inn, which still welcomes guests. As it enters Kanawha County from Fayette County, the Midland Trail hugs the northern bank of the Kanawha River.


Related Articles


Other Exhibits

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.