Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Putnam County map

Note: click on the icons overlaying the map to get more details about that specific point.


Putnam1200ap_huge Star_red250_s24 Dot_black250_sq16 Dot_black250_s12 Dot_black250_s12 Dot_black250_s12 Dot_black250_s12 Dot_black250_s12 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16

Putnam County

On March 11, 1848, a bill was passed by the General Assembly of Virginia to form Putnam County from portions of Kanawha, Mason, and Cabell. The new county was named in honor of Gen. Israel Putnam, who commanded the Continental Army at Bunker Hill. It straddled the Kanawha River, midway between Charleston and Point Pleasant.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2019 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.