Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Pendleton County

Note: click on the icons overlaying the map to get more details about that specific point.


Pendleton1200ap_huge Star_red250_s24 Tree_green250_s24 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Tree_green250_s32 Tree_green250_s32 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16

Pendleton County

Created on May 1, 1788, largely from Rockingham County, and smaller portions of Augusta and Hardy, Pendleton County was named for Virginia statesman Edmund Pendleton (1721–1803). Bounded on two sides by Virginia, it adjoins the Shenandoah Valley. Its surface area, 698.1 square miles, ranks fifth-largest in the state.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2020 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.