Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the Telephone Service article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about Telephone Service

Name Message

Bill White says...

On 11/15/19
at 09:42 PM

I know that Jane Lew was the first small town in WV to have the dial system. I do not, however has a firm date. I know that C. S. Mitchel was the local manager for C. & P. I have a newspaper clipping from The Weston Democrat dated July 23, but the year is not included. The first call was made by the Jane Lew Mayor, U. I. Jenkins, to my father, Carson White, who owned White’s Feed in Jane Lew. Does anyone know where I can find the year that occurred?

Jeanne Lynch says...

On 05/15/20
at 03:49 PM

Bill White,

I have in my possession a single share of Capital Stock in Peoples United Telephone System, Jane Lew, WV. It was purchased for the sum of $50.00 by my great-grandfather, Calvin L. Smallridge who at that time resided in French Creek, WV.

The date on the stock certificate was hand-penned as the 26th day of May, 1908, and signed by (unreadable) E. Batten, Secretary and by C. W. Davisson, President. The raised gold foil stamp reads Peoples United Telephone System, Jane Lew, April 12, 190? I’ve been searching for this telephone Company but can find no history on it. Hope this may be os some help to you!

Jeanne Lynch in Bridgeport, WV

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.