Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the Stonewall Jackson Lake article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about Stonewall Jackson Lake

Name Message

Sweet Kaia says...

On 06/05/19
at 09:28 AM

Is the town of Roanoke intact under the water? When I paddle around, I wonder how many people were displaced and how many buildings or other structures are below the surface.

Mike Keller says...

On 06/05/19
at 10:01 AM

I can’t be sure, but the Washington Post article from 1978 says After they’re gone and their homes are razed, after Vandalia and four other hamlets are demolished, after the cemeteries are moved and the roads closed, the corps will build a $117 million dam, named after Stonewall Jackson, and fill its lake. So I presume that they haul all the man-made stuff away. I have been to Summersville Lake when the lake is drawn down for winter, and all that’s left are tree stumps and brush.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.