Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the Ashford General Hospital article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about Ashford General Hospital

Name Message

William Wood says...

On 07/22/11
at 12:19 PM

This brings back memories. I was stationed there and took part in the flag lowering at the end of June 1946. This was a great experience, having spent time there, especially for a recent high school graduate. I was able to revisit the site in 1954 while in the area on business.

Patricia McWhorter Cooke says...

On 08/08/14
at 03:28 PM

Where can I find records from the hospital?? My uncle was a doctor and resident there and I would like to visit his residence.

Robert Lynn says...

On 11/11/14
at 08:59 AM

Just for adding information About Ashford General I am one of the few that were born there before the Government sold it back to the Duke of Windsor. There are only a handful of us, and it would be nice to compile a complete list of births there.

Robert Lynn says...

On 11/11/14
at 09:02 AM

For those interested the Historian at the Greenbriar has published a history book which can be bought from the gift shop.

Mike Keller says...

On 11/12/14
at 12:38 PM

Dr. Conte, historian at The Greenbrier, tells me that they have some information about Ashford General, but since it was an Army operation, they took most of their records with them. Anyone that would like to inquire directly can contact Dr. Conte at robert_conte@greenbrier.com.

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Julie Blount says...

On 10/16/17
at 10:50 AM

My grandparents were stationed here back in 1945-1946. This is where they met, fell in love and got married. My grandfather was a brace maker; my grandmother was a nurse tech or something like that.

mason smoot says...

On 01/29/18
at 10:55 AM

I have found certificate that shows that my uncle completed two years of service at the hospital and wonder if it is of value to any historical group. I tried to contact Dr Conte at the Greenbrier but was unable to. I would appreciate any feedback.

Mike Keller says...

On 01/29/18
at 11:05 AM

I would give Dr. Conte a try again at robert_conte@greenbrier.com. After that, another option might be a donation to the West Virginia State Archives. You can find the staff’s contact info at http://www.wvculture.org/history/archives/contactus.html.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.