Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the Coal Mine Disasters article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about Coal Mine Disasters

Name Message

Jeanette Crouser says...

On 04/27/15
at 02:08 PM

I am working on my family tree and had read a lot about the Monongah Mine Explosion as my Grandmother Grace Moon Fletcher had 2 brothers killed in it. SHe was born and raised in Newberg, and by happenstance I drove to Newberg to hunt for the family homestead and saw a memorial in the middle of the town dedicated to those miners killed in the Newberg Mine explosion. There were 2 names, JAMES and FRANK MOON that stood out to me. My grandmothers brothers, who were killed in the Monongah Mine explosion, were JAMES and FRANK MOON. I was unable to connect if they were relation, but it was a very eerie coincidence.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.