Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the Charleston Ordnance Center article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about Charleston Ordnance Center

Name Message

Judy Romano says...

On 09/14/10
at 08:03 PM

FMC bought the Naval Ordnance facility in 1962 and sold it to Ray Park in 1970. I worked at the FMC Ordnance Plant from 1962 until 1969 in the accounting department. We made military vehicles for the government, M110’s, M113’s and XM578, tracked vehicles and we also made some railroad cars.

Views expressed in comments to e-WV articles are those of the commenter.

Gene Combs says...

On 01/04/11
at 04:44 PM

I was the final Naval Supply Officer at the old Navy Ordnance Plant in 1959-61 as the Navy turned over the facility to the General Services Administration for sale. I have in my possession the GSA sealed bid invitation with bid opening to be on March 31, 1961, which includes photos and descriptions of the various parcels up for bid. Is there anyone out there that has an interest in this item?

Joe H Camp Jr says...

On 11/20/16
at 11:55 PM

Hi folks, I see Ms. Romano’s and Mr. Combs’ comments on the story of the Charleston Ordnance Center. Would like to share a couple of things. (1) Most of the well-known information on the Charleston Ordnance Plant as used in nearly all of the recent discussions is due to my PhD research at WVU between 1997 and 2002. Most sources have cited my work (“Birch Rod to Arsenal”) if not having lifted it verbatim in some cases. Also (2) would like to note that I am currently expanding this original dissertation into a real book for an expanded readership. Anyone who has stories about the Navy Ordnance Plant in the Post WWII years, or who had relatives with stories about having worked at either GMOC or Carnegie Illinois during the war, is welcome to contact me here. Thanks very much. Joe H. Camp, Jr.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.