Camp Woodbine, known today as Camp Richwood because of its location along the south side of the Cranberry River five miles north of Richwood, was occupied by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 521 on November 20, 1933. The CCC company was under the supervision of the U.S. Forest Service and assigned work duties in the Monongahela National Forest. Camp Woodbine was made up mostly of West Virginia CCC enrollees, with a few from Ohio. At one time, there were 13 black enrollees in camp. The camp was abandoned on October 23, 1935.
Work projects included the construction of fire trails and road building, fire fighting, traffic surveys on State Routes 39, 44, and 94 to determine if a new Richwood to Marlinton road was needed, timber stand improvement, and Woodland Park, now known as Woodbine Picnic Area. Members of Camp Woodbine operated a side camp, known as Camp Woodroe, near Marlinton.
The site of the camp is now used for annual reunions of former West Virginia CCC members.
This Article was written by Larry N. Sypolt
Woodland News. Chicago: Center for Research Libraries.
Peyton, Billy Joe & Pamela B. Redmond. Cultural Resource Survey, Monongahela National Forest, CCC Camps, Fire Towers, Administrative Sites. Monongahela National Forest, U.S. Forest Service, Elkins
Cite This Article
Sypolt, Larry N. "Camp Woodbine." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 01 June 2012. Web. 23 February 2017.