Indian Mound Cemetery is located at the western end of Romney, on the north side of U.S. 50. It is on the east side of the South Branch Potomac, on a high terrace overlooking the river. The cemetery, which covers at least two acres of ground, was started shortly before the Civil War. It is named for a large Indian mound near its southeast corner. The mound is approximately 15 feet in diameter and about seven feet high. The mound has not been fully investigated archeologically so its exact age is not known. However, it is believed to have been built sometime between 550 B.C. and A.D. 1400. Two governors of West Virginia are buried at Indian Mound Cemetery, John Jeremiah Jacob (died 1893) and John Jacob Cornwell (died 1953).
This Article was written by Greg Adamson
Maxwell, Hu & H. L. Swisher. History of Hampshire County. Morgantown: A. B. Boughner, 1897, Reprint, McClain, 1972.
Fowkes, Gerald. "Archeological Investigations in the James and Potomac Valleys," Bulletin 23. Bureau of American Ethnology, 1894.