Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

SharePrint Ripley

20110511ripley_006p_medium

Ripley is the county seat of Jackson County. It is situated in a bend of Big Mill Creek 12 miles from Ravenswood and is 616 feet above sea level. The town was laid out in 1831 by Jacob Starcher and received its charter December 19, 1832. It was probably named for Harry Ripley, a popular, circuit-riding Methodist minister who drowned in Mill Creek in 1830. The earliest settler in the area was Capt. William Parsons, who built the first road between Clarksburg and Point Pleasant in 1807.

The first of three courthouses, a one-story structure, was built on the town square in 1832. In 1858, the original was replaced with a two-story brick and sandstone structure. The third and present courthouse was built in 1920. An 1886 referendum confirmed Ripley as county seat, defeating rival Ravenswood. In 1897, when John Morgan was hanged in public on the edge of Ripley for the hatchet murders of three members of the Greene family, it created such a sensation that the state legislature passed a bill requiring that all future executions take place inside the state penitentiary.

By 1883, Ripley’s population reached 614. The town had hotels, blacksmith shops, tailors, merchants, a gristmill, tanyard, woolen mill, planing mill, master carpenter, lumber companies, attorneys, and two physicians. The first free school had been opened after West Virginia became a state in 1863. The first high school was opened in 1913.

The town’s first post office was opened in 1832. The first newspaper was the Jackson Democrat. It was established in 1864 and became the Jackson Herald in 1877. Ripley has been served by the Jackson County Library since the 1940s.

The first annual Jackson County Fair was held at Ripley in 1877. By 1989, fair attendance reached 30,000 with 2,000 exhibits. It is joined today by the nearby Mountain State Art & Craft Fair. The Ripley Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

No longer isolated, Ripley lies at the intersection of U.S. 33 and Interstate 77. The town, with a 2010 population of 3,252, is a center of commerce with several restaurants, stores, motels, banks, churches, twin theaters, two newspapers, and several residential suburbs. Ripley claims to have the “Biggest Small Town” 4th of July celebration in America. The celebration was attended by President George W. Bush, who delivered an address on July 4, 2002.

Read the National Register of Historic Places nomination.

This Article was written by Carolyn Flesher Bolovan

Last Revised on December 03, 2015


Cite This Article

Bolovan, Carolyn Flesher "Ripley." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 03 December 2015. Web. 19 July 2018.

Comments?

There aren't any comments for this article yet.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.