Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

SharePrint Camden Clark Medical Center

Camdenclarkhospital_postcard_medium

The 370-bed Camden Clark Medical Center in Parkersburg is an acute care facility that serves Wood County and the surrounding Mid-Ohio Valley region. Camden Clark offers specialty care in internal medicine, surgery, oncology, anesthesia, family practice, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, emergency services, pathology, radiology, and radiation therapy. The hospital employs about 2,500 people.

The forerunner to Camden Clark was City Hospital, a 40-bed facility that opened in 1898 on Wells Avenue, now 13th Street. The hospital also operated a school of nursing. In 1920, City Hospital moved to the Camden mansion on Garfield Avenue, which had been home to the U.S. senator and industrialist, Johnson Newlon Camden (1828–1908) and his wife, Anne. After Anne’s death in 1918, the Camden heirs decided to honor her by donating the mansion to the city to use as a hospital. With a donation and a subsequent bequest from Dr. Andrew Clark, the city altered the mansion and added a wing for a new hospital. In recognition of the Camden and Clark gifts, the hospital was dedicated as Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital on April 16, 1920.

Since then, the hospital has added new facilities and programs. In 1973, a new kitchen and mechanical wing opened. Two years later, the completion of North Wing Tower added patient rooms as well as a radiology department, coronary care unit, emergency department, laboratory, and pharmacy. Subsequent additions created the surgery suite in 1979, the Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital Medical Office in 1992, the Outpatient Physical Therapy Building on Dudley Avenue in 1999, and the cardiac catheterization laboratory in 2000. Outreach services include diabetes education workshops, television forums, CPR and first aid classes, cancer seminars, and cardiac rehabilitation education.

In 2011, Camden-Clark merged with St. Joseph’s Hospital to become Camden Clark Medical Center, an affiliate of West Virginia United Health System.

Although Camden Clark closed its nursing school in 1969, it still serves as a learning site for students majoring in medical fields from West Virginia University at Parkersburg and area technical schools.

Last Revised on November 01, 2012

Related Articles


Cite This Article

e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia "Camden Clark Medical Center." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 01 November 2012. Web. 20 September 2018.

Comments?

There aren't any comments for this article yet.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.