The massive stone highways garage west of Buckhannon, a familiar landmark on U.S. 33, is part of a maintenance complex that covers more than 18 acres. The main structure, constructed of native sandstone, was built in 1941 by prison labor. It is 2,052 feet long with walls four feet thick. The stone is laid on footers 10 feet wide and six feet deep, reinforced with steel rails. Twenty-six thousand cubic yards of cut stone was used in the construction. The masonry work required 51,300 bags of cement, and there are 1,770 cubic yards of concrete in the foundation. It has 70,000 square feet of floor space and a ceiling height of 54 feet. The windows required 50,000 glass blocks. It is heated by radiant floor heat.
The main building is used as a shop to repair large equipment and as a warehouse, which supplies parts and supplies to the 10 districts of the Division of Highways throughout the state. A smaller building, the administration building that houses offices for the director and staff, was also built in 1941. There are five other buildings in the complex, which were built later and are of less importance.
This Article was written by Jack Catalano
Last Revised on January 07, 2011
Cite This Article
Catalano, Jack "Buckhannon Highways Garage." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 07 January 2011. Web. 25 April 2017.