Tackett’s Fort was located at the mouth of the Coal River at present St. Albans. Lewis, Samuel, and Christopher Tackett and friend John Young constructed the fort about 1786. The fort was one of the first permanent settlements in the St. Albans area. The structure was erected to serve as a defense against the savage Indian raids that occurred during the late 1700s in Western Virginia.
Indian raids plagued settlers moving west into the region during this period. In spring 1790, raiding Indians attacked Fort Tackett and kidnapped several people. Later that year they struck again, this time destroying the fort. Several of the inhabitants were killed, including members of the Tackett family. The more fortunate ones eluded their attackers and escaped to Fort Lee, some 15 miles away in present Charleston.
This Article was written by Scott M. Kozelnik
Last Revised on November 05, 2010
Cohen, Stan & Richard Andre. Kanawha County Images. Charleston: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company & Kanawha County Bicentennial, 1987.
DeGruyter, Julius. Kanawha Spectator, vol. 1, 1953.
Cite This Article
Kozelnik, Scott M. "Tackett’s Fort." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 05 November 2010. Web. 29 March 2017.