Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

SharePrint Hinton News

The Hinton News was founded as the Hinton Daily News on May 5, 1902, by John W. Graham (1867–1941). Graham was previously the editor and publisher of the Leader, a struggling weekly. The Daily News was known for editorials that pulled no punches, and on one occasion an editor was jailed for his provocative remarks during a railroad strike. The Daily News grew into the most widely read paper in the area, its readership spreading into surrounding counties. It became the weekly Hinton News in 1978 and is the only local newspaper to serve Summers County.

On April 1, 1922, Graham sold the paper to H. C. Ogden, the Wheeling publisher, and continued in an advisory position until his death. The newspaper’s present building was constructed by Ogden in 1926 and opened January 4, 1927. On April 23, 1947, John and Tom Faulconer of Hinton purchased the newspaper. They continued its operation until March 1, 1973, when they sold the Hinton Daily News to Charles D. Hylton, who named his son, Tony, editor and publisher. On June 2, 1978, the paper was sold to the Welch Daily News and because of declining local economic conditions became the weekly Hinton News, publishing each week on Tuesday. Today the Hinton News is owned by the Hinton Publishing Corporation. The newspaper’s circulation was 3,706 in 2008.

This Article was written by Fred Long

Related Articles


Cite This Article

Long, Fred "Hinton News." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 24 February 2012. Web. 20 September 2018.

Comments?

There aren't any comments for this article yet.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.