Hatfield Island lies in the Guyandotte River in the city of Logan. Named for Elias Hatfield in the early 1900s, it is often called Midelburg Island for Ferdinand Midelburg, a later owner. The 43-acre island, 2,000 feet long and 1,000 feet wide, was the site of the original settlement of Logan County by James and Joseph Workman in the 1790s. Purchased from Midelburg by the Logan Civic Association in the 1940s, the island later was bought jointly by the Logan County Board of Education and the Logan County Commission. Logan High School and its fieldhouse and athletic fields were constructed there in 1957. Logan Grade School was added in 1969 and Logan Middle School and Public Library in 1996–97. Today the island has two bridges, the east bridge joining Water Street in Logan and the west bridge connecting to State Route 10.
This Article was written by Robert Y. Spence