Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

SharePrint Basketball Tournament-Girls

20110310basketball_045p_medium

In 1919, three states—South Carolina, Oklahoma, and West Virginia—held state basketball tournaments for girls for the first time. The West Virginia tournament was the work of W. W. Lovell, principal of Spencer High School, and members of the Roane County board of education who decided to hold a tournament for girls to rival the boys tournament, which began in 1914 at West Virginia Wesleyan College. At the time, Spencer did not have a gym, so the organizers recruited carpenters and the high school shop class to build a gymnasium with enough space for 1,000 spectators.

Ten teams traveled by train to Spencer for the first tournament. Huntington High School won the tournament the first year, and Wheeling High School won the next three championships. Spencer and Pennsboro won the following two championships in 1923 and 1924.

The West Virginia Girls Basketball Tournament had a successful run through 1924, drawing a high of 34 teams in 1922. But by 1924, critics were claiming that interscholastic sports were bad for girls’ health. The West Virginia High School Athletic Association (forerunner of the West Virginia Secondary Schools Activities Commission) discontinued the tournament after a vote of 24–22.

Some West Virginia high schools continued to field girls basketball teams through the 1920s. Spencer, Huntington, and Man high schools participated in the national girls high school championship before it, too, was abolished in the late 1920s. By the late 1930s almost all of the girls high school and college basketball teams had been disbanded.

The WVSSAC reestablished the girls state basketball tournament in 1976, four years after the passage of Title IX, the federal act that mandated equal opportunities for female athletes. The 1976 tournament, played at West Virginia Wesleyan College, was won by Dunbar in class AAA, Northfork in class AA, and Fort Gay in class A. The annual tournament is now played in Charleston, in the same venue as the boys tournament and one week earlier.

Mary Ostrowski of Parkersburg Catholic and Vicky Bullett of Martinsburg were two of the most successful players in the history of the girls basketball tournament. Ostrowski was three-time girls player of the year (1977-1979) while leading her team to three state championships. Bullett played on the U.S. Olympic 1988 gold medal and 1992 bronze medal women’s basketball teams and had a six-year career in the Women’s National Basketball Association.

One of the most successful teams in recent years has been Huntington St. Joseph in class A with seven straight championships through 2015, a record. Summers County, with five straight championships between 2007 and 2011, holds the record for class AA. Private schools dominated tournament play in class A for more than a decade, until the Gilmer County Titans won in 2016.

Another successful team has been North Marion, which won three of four championships from 2009 through 2012. In 2016, Wyoming East won in class AA, and Morgantown repeated as the class AAA champion.

This Article was written by C. Robert Barnett and Steven Cooper

Last Revised on March 21, 2016

Related Articles


Sources

Barnett, Bob. Hillside Fields: A History of Sports in West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia: West Virginia University Press, 2013.

Barnett, Bob and Steven Cooper. Holding Court: West Virginia’s First Girl’s Basketball Tournament. Goldenseal, Spring 2013.

Cite This Article

Barnett, C. Robert and Steven Cooper "Basketball Tournament-Girls ." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 21 March 2016. Web. 23 October 2018.

Comments?

So far, this article has 2 comments.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.