Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

SharePrint Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College

Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College was an independent member of the Community and Technical College System of West Virginia. The institution traced its history to associate programs offered by its parent, West Virginia State University, in the 1950s. Subsequent legislation authorized the creation of the West Virginia State Community and Technical College. In 2000, the legislature authorized the community college to seek separate accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and the West Virginia State Community and Technical College received accreditation in 2004.

West Virginia State Community and Technical College was separated from West Virginia State University on July 1, 2009. The name of the institution was changed to Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College by legislation signed by the governor in 2010. Initially the institution continued to occupy a building on the West Virginia State University campus. However, the college later moved to a building at the former Union Carbide Tech Center in South Charleston. The 2011 headcount enrollment was 2,241.

On January 1, 2014, Kanawha Valley and Bridgemont Community and Technical College in Montgomery merged into one institution named BridgeValley Community and Technical College.

This Article was written by Kenneth R. Bailey

Last Revised on July 01, 2014


Cite This Article

Bailey, Kenneth R. "Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 01 July 2014. Web. 19 July 2018.

Comments?

There aren't any comments for this article yet.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.