The Greenbrier Military School, a private secondary school for boys, was located in Lewisburg. The history of the school can be traced to 1890 when the Greenbrier Military Academy was founded. The buildings of this school burned two years after it opened, and the school went through several changes in its name and ownership. In 1902, the school was bought by the Greenbrier Presbytery which renamed it the Greenbrier Presbyterial School. At that time, the school had ceased to be a military school.
In 1906, H. B. Moore was hired as the school’s headmaster, and he shortly thereafter reintroduced the military curriculum. Moore brought two of his brothers to help him run the school. They purchased the institution in 1920 and reorganized it as the Greenbrier Military School. In 1925, a fire destroyed nearly all of the school’s buildings. They were replaced with a classroom building and a dormitory that could house 250 boys. During World War II, the school had an enrollment of 345 students in grades seven to 12. Students were required to have four years of military training. The school closed in 1972, and the buildings were acquired for the newly formed West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine.
This Article was written by Michael M. Meador
Rice, Otis K. A History of Greenbrier County. Parsons: McClain, 1986.
Cite This Article
Meador, Michael M. "Greenbrier Military School." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 13 February 2012. Web. 02 August 2015.