Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

SharePrint Edgewood Country Club

20110811houses_191p_medium

Located in Charleston, Edgewood Country Club, chartered on April 4, 1898, as Glenwood Athletic Club, is the oldest private country club in West Virginia. The first clubhouse and golf course were situated on land extending from the Kanawha River north to Central Avenue and east to Delaware Avenue on the city’s west side. When this acreage was subdivided in 1906, the club moved to its present location in the Edgewood section of Charleston. On June 21,1906, a new charter was issued to Edgewood Country Club. The membership consisted of Charleston’s prominent families.

In 1907, under the leadership of its first president, Angus W. MacDonald, the membership constructed a clubhouse and tennis courts on three acres of land. With the purchase of an additional 100 acres, a golf course was added. For dances a special streetcar proceeded about the city to pick up members and transport them to the club. By 1934, a paved road, private cars, and bus service replaced the streetcar.

On Christmas night, 1935, a fire of unknown origin destroyed the clubhouse and its facilities except the squash courts. In 1936, the present clubhouse was built on the same acreage with other recreational areas erected in the following years. After selling its neighboring nine-hole golf course to the city of Charleston, the club in 1969 developed 600 acres for a new 18-hole championship golf course on Derrick Creek near Pocatalico, and in 1977 built a small clubhouse there. With gala dances and sport tournaments, Edgewood celebrated its centenary in 1998.

This Article was written by Elizabeth Lawton Beury


Sources

Rules of Membership, Edgewood Country Club. Charleston: 1910 & 1999.

Norris, James H. Interview by author. 8/19/1999.

Cite This Article

Beury, Elizabeth Lawton "Edgewood Country Club." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 03 February 2012. Web. 17 October 2018.

Comments?

There aren't any comments for this article yet.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.