Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

SharePrint Alpine Lake

Alpinelakep_medium

The 2,300-acre Alpine Lake Resort and Conference Center is located northeast of Terra Alta, in Preston County. The private development, managed by the Alpine Lake Property Owners Association, includes 345 residences, a 150-acre lake, motel, restaurant, meeting rooms, fitness center, 18-hole golf course, cross-country ski trails, and tennis courts. The facilities are open to the public.

The resort started as a hunting and fishing camp in the 1930s. Arlie Hull, who lived near Terra Alta, owned the property. He created a five-acre lake, stocked it with bass, and bought adjoining land. In the early 1960s, a group of Preston County businessmen bought the 1,000-acre camp and named it Mountaintop Vacationland. To secure the loan, the group sold memberships in the development. They built a lodge, manager’s house, cabins, campground, and a swimming pool. In 1969, Morgantown industrialist J. W. Ruby and his wife, Hazel, whose company was named Mountaintop Development Co., bought the camp. The Rubys renamed the camp Alpine Lake, expanded the resort, and drew up a residential community plan. They offered lots for sale, first to charter members and then to the public. In 1980, Mountaintop Development deeded Alpine Lake to the property owners’ association.

Last Revised on December 08, 2010


Cite This Article

e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia "Alpine Lake." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 08 December 2010. Web. 15 July 2018.

Comments?

There aren't any comments for this article yet.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2018 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.