Pineville, the county seat of Wyoming County, is located on Rockcastle Creek at the place where the creek enters the Guyandotte River. The town lies at an elevation of 1,323 feet, at the intersection of State Routes 16, 10, and 97. The 2010 population of Pineville was 668.
Castle Rock, the towering sandstone formation for which Rockcastle Creek is named, is located at Pineville and is the major local landmark. The community was previously called Castlerock, and the post office there was once named Rock Castle. The town was renamed Pineville for the local pine forest and incorporated under that name in 1907.
The area of present Wyoming County was first settled about 1800, and by 1850 there was sufficient population to organize Wyoming from part of Logan County. Hiram Clay first settled near the site of present Pineville, in 1863. Pineville became county seat in 1907, replacing Oceana after a series of disputed elections. The Wyoming County courthouse, renovated in recent years by the county commission, was built in the Neoclassical Revival style in 1916 of locally quarried stone. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. A statue of preacher W.H.H. Cook, an early settler of the area and influential citizen, stands in front of the courthouse.
Judge R. D. Bailey (1883–1961) was a Pineville resident.
Last Revised on October 22, 2010
Cite This Article
e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia "Pineville." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 22 October 2010. Web. 27 November 2015.