The Akro Agate Company of Clarksburg was a world leader in manufacturing glass marbles. Organized in Akron, Ohio, in 1911 the firm relocated to Clarksburg in 1914 because of the availability of glass sand and cheap natural gas for fuel. The Chinese Checker craze of the 1930s and ’40s helped make the marbles very profitable, with more than 2,000,000 made per week. Beginning in the 1930s a line of pressed glass vases, floral ware, and colorful glass containers was produced. Miniature glass children’s dishes, including tea pots, cups, saucers, and other pieces, were sold as inexpensively boxed sets when World War II limited the availability of metal for toys. The marbles and multicolored pressed articles in similar hues are sought by collectors today. Pressed products can sometimes be identified by the trademark of the letter A with a crow flying through it. The firm, located off South Chestnut Street, ceased production in 1951.
This Article was written by Dean Six
Last Revised on December 07, 2010
Hardy, Roger & Claudia Hardy. Akro Agate Price Guide. Clarksburg: 1998.
Sweeney, Edwin. Marbles and Pressed Glass. Goldenseal, Summer 1984.
Cite This Article
Six, Dean "Akro Agate Company." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 07 December 2010. Web. 20 April 2014.