Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

SharePrint St. Albans

Ordnance_park1941_medium

The town at the mouth of Coal River was not named St. Albans until 1871, and by then it had already had three other names. As early as 1800, the settlement was called Coalsmouth. In 1829, Phillip R. Thompson, who owned a large tract of land within the present city limits, had it laid out as a town and named it ‘‘Phillipi.’’ However, a post office was never established in that name. In 1868, John Cunningham acquired the old Thompson property and redeveloped it as a town which he had incorporated and named Kanawha City. According to differing accounts, St. Albans received its permanent name either for St. Albans, Vermont, or St. Albans, England.

The first settlers were brothers Lewis and Christopher Tackett, who settled at the mouth of Coal River and built a fort about 1786. Keziah Young, a daughter of Lewis Tackett, many years later recalled a fatal Indian attack on Fort Tackett. Early industries included two gristmills, a tan yard, various lumber mills, a boat yard, a brick yard, and a carriage maker. St. Albans entrepreneurs established a lock and dam system on Coal River and promoted a branch railroad system there. The same group maintained a steamboat landing and wharf facilities on the Kanawha and in 1911 obtained a streetcar line extension from Charleston. Manufacturing plants attracted to St. Albans included several sawmills, two glass plants, a foundry, a rubber plant, a chemical plant, and a TNT plant.

St. Albans has always provided educational and cultural opportunities. There were early boarding schools for both girls and boys, and the former Shelton College offered courses in liberal and cultural arts. Today St. Albans has become a residential community for industrial plants at nearby Nitro, Institute, and South Charleston, with other citizens commuting to Charleston. St. Albans is located on the Kanawha River west of Charleston. The St. Albans Main Street Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. In 2012, its population was an estimated 10,973.

Read the National Register nomination.

This Article was written by Bill Wintz

Last Revised on November 30, 2016


Sources

Wintz, William D. Annals of the Great Kanawha. Charleston: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company, 1993.

A Century with St. Albans: West Virginia Centennial, 1863-1963. St. Albans: Harless Printing, 1963.

St. Albans Historical Society. St. Albans History. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Pub., 1993.

Rust, Mary Jane. Recollections & Reflections of Mollie Hansford. Charleston: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company, 1996.

Cite This Article

Wintz, Bill "St. Albans." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 30 November 2016. Web. 23 June 2017.

Comments?

There aren't any comments for this article yet.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2017 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.